CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

My name is Jewel. Welcome to my blog!

In this blog I will post about my horsey-life, the chronicle of how our family went from no horses to five horses in the span of seven years, and how I stay sane with three horse-crazy kids. I called it "Green Broke" because at one time I started out green AND cash-broke (still feel that way). Come along for the ride!

To meet our cast of characters, read this post.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

History: How it really started

[This is an installment in "How we got into horses". See right sidebar for other posts.]

Every summer, my husband's partner Roddy has hosted a horseback-riding party at his place. Roddy and his wife would saddle up their ten or so horses and people with riding abilities from none (like us initially) to a lot would ride in their arena. I watched my children with pounding heart, but the horses they rode were old, dependable ones. Nobody got injured; the worst thing that happened to me was a horse got fed up with me yanking at the reins it reared up and dumped me on my bum. We rode with running shoes and no helmets; I cared more about how my wind-blown hair would look after the party than my staying safe on a horse.

It would be years later, when the bug would bite, but it had begun to burrow into our skin.

0 comments: